Can You Record a Zoom Event?
Zoom offers an excellent option for recording online videos easily when you need to capture a meeting, webinar, or another event. If you're an event host or an event host has granted you recording privileges, recording is as simple as clicking the Record button in the Zoom control bar.
Your Zoom event recordings are saved locally to your device if you’re a free Zoom user. If you’re a paid subscriber, you also have the option of recording and saving to the Zoom cloud.
Anyone can record Zoom events, even if they aren’t the host or a participant with recording permissions. Most modern devices are equipped with screen recording features to record and save a Zoom event. We’ll cover how to record from Zoom on any device whether you have recording permissions or not.
Can You Record a Zoom Meeting as a Participant?
If the host has granted you recording permissions, you can record a Zoom meeting as a participant from within the Zoom app. If you don’t have permission to record, there are ways of getting around Zoom’s recording restrictions. We’ll go over how to screen record on any device without the consent in the article below and provide step-by-step instructions for recording.
Can You Record a Zoom Meeting Without Participants?
You can record a Zoom meeting without participants by changing the Zoom screen layout. If you want to record an event without the participants displaying, choose one of these layouts in the Zoom settings:
- Active Speaker (Desktop and Mobile)
- Shared Screen With Large Active Speaker Thumbnail (Desktop)
- Shared Screen with Active Speaker (Desktop and Mobile)
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting?
Zoom makes it extremely easy to record your sessions from your desktop if you’re a meeting host or a participant with recording permissions. You can start recording with just a couple of clicks.
Follow these steps to record from the Zoom desktop client as host or participant with recording permissions:
- Open Zoom and log in.
- From the Home tab, click the Settings Gear.
- Click the Recording tab and select the folder to which you’d like to save your recordings.
- Start your Zoom meeting.
- Click the Record button on the control bar at the bottom of the screen. You will see a Recording message displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.
You can pause or stop your recording by clicking the Pause or Stop icons displayed next to the Recording message.
How To Record Zoom Meeting as a Participant
The device will depend on how you record a Zoom meeting as a participant without recording privileges. Though Zoom has recording restrictions, you can circumvent them by using the native recording features on a desktop or mobile device.
How to Record Zoom Meeting on Computer or Laptop Without Recording Permission
Windows and Mac systems have built-in recording solutions you can use to get around the recording restrictions of Zoom. If you’re not a host or don’t have recording permission, it just takes a little more effort to record a Zoom meeting. Keep reading to find out how to record a meeting or other event from any laptop or desktop.
How to Record Zoom Meeting on PC
Many people aren’t aware of this, but PowerPoint has a handy screen recording feature that can be used for image and video screen captures. Using PowerPoint to capture your screen is the simplest way to record a Zoom event on a PC if you don’t have recording permissions.
Use the following steps to record a Zoom event using PowerPoint:
- Have your Zoom meeting open on your screen.
- Access PowerPoint from the Start menu.
- Select Blank Presentation after opening PowerPoint.
- Select Insert Tab and then choose Screen Recording. Your computer screen will gray out.
- Record your entire screen by holding down the Windows Key + Shift + F, or use your mouse to select the area of your screen you wish to record.
- Click Record. Your recording will begin after three seconds.
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting on Windows 10?
The Xbox Game Bar was developed as a Windows 10 feature gamers could easily record and share their gaming sessions online. You can also use the app to record Zoom events if you don’t have recording permissions.
Use the Xbox Game Bar to record your Zoom event by taking the following steps:
- Close all windows on your screen except the one you wish to record.
- Access the Xbox Game Bar from the Start menu.
- When the Xbox Game Bar app opens, click the Record button.
How to Record Zoom Meeting on Mac
Macs were designed for creative purposes like video recording and editing, so using them to capture your screen is a breeze. You can record a Zoom meeting with just a couple of taps on your keyboard.
Start recording from your Mac with these simple steps:
- On your keyboard, press and hold Command + Shift + 5.
- Select whether to record a window on your screen, a portion of your screen, or your entire screen.
- Your recording will begin after you make your selection.
When you finish recording, a thumbnail will appear in the lower corner of your screen. Click the thumbnail and choose where to save your recording. Click Stop to end your recording.
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting In Browser?
You can record from a PC or Mac browser window using any methods outlined above. Each recording method provides the choice of recording a single browser window. When prompted, select to record a window or select the portion of your screen where your browser window is open.
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting on My Phone?
Using your phone as a webcam for Zoom meetings is a convenient option when you need to travel or if you don’t have access to a desktop device. If you’re the meeting host or have permission from the host to record, you can start recording in the Zoom app with just a couple of clicks. We’ll cover how to record from within the Zoom app and how to record a Zoom meeting without permission from your phone.
How to Record a Zoom Meeting On an Android:
- Open Zoom and start your session.
- While your meeting is in progress, tap More.
- Tap Record, and a Recording message will appear at the top of the screen.
If you want to pause or stop your recording, tap More and press the Pause or Stop button.
Follow these instructions for how to record a zoom meeting on iPhone:
- Open Zoom and begin your session.
- After starting your Zoom Meeting, tap More (...)
- Select Record to the Cloud. A Recording message will appear on your screen.
You can locate all recordings made from a mobile device in the Zoom Web Portal under Recordings.
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting on Android Without Permission?
Follow these steps to record a Zoom event without permission using the screen recorder on your Android 11 device:
- Go to your Quick Settings menu and tap Screen Recorder.
- Select your video and audio settings, and then choose Done.
- Allow the Android Screen Recorder to access your phone.
- Tap Start Recording.
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting on My iPhone Without Permission?
Use this step-by-step guide to record from Zoom on an iPhone without permission:
- Open the Settings menu and go to Control Center.
- Find Screen Recording and tap on the + icon.
- Return to the Home screen and open the Control Center.
- Hold down the Record button.
- Tap the Microphone icon to enable your mic.
- Select where your recording is saved.
- Press Start Recording. You’ll have three seconds before your screen recording begins.
How Do I Record a Zoom Meeting With Audio?
Zoom records automatically and saves audio and video together as an MP4 file. It also saves audio separately as an audio-only M4A file. You can also record multiple audio files during a meeting to capture each participant’s audio.
Follow these instructions to record multiple audio files during your Zoom meeting:
- Open Zoom and select Settings.
- Locate the Recording tab and click on it.
- Find the Record a separate audio file for each participant feature and enable it.
*Separate audio track recording is only available for local recordings.
How to Record a Zoom Meeting on Chromebook
You can use the screen recording features included on a Chromebook to record a Zoom meeting without permission from the host. You can also edit and share your recording with others using a Chromebook.
Take the following steps to use your Chromebook to record a Zoom meeting:
- Hold Shift + Ctrl + Show Windows simultaneously until a menu appears.
- Click Screen Record on the menu that displays.
- Start your recording by selecting if you want to record your whole screen, just a portion of your screen, or what’s displaying in a browser window.
How to Record a Zoom Meeting on iPad
iPads come with a built-in recording feature that captures Zoom meetings from anywhere with an internet connection. The screen recording features are available on iOS 14 systems, and later can record a Zoom meeting easily with just a couple of clicks.
Follow these steps to record a Zoom meeting on your iPad using the screen recorder feature:
- Access the Settings menu and select Control Center. Locate Screen Recording and tap the + icon that’s next to it.
- Return to the Home screen and open the Control Center again.
- Find the Record button. Press and hold the button.
- Tap the Microphone button to activate your mic for audio recording.
- Select where on your device you’d like your recording to save to.
- Begin your recording by tapping Start Recording. You’ll have three seconds before your screen recording starts.
Stop recording at any type by tapping the status bar at the top of the screen and then choosing Stop.
How to Record a Zoom Meeting on Tablet
You can record a Zoom meeting on a tablet even if you aren’t the host or you don’t have recording permission. Android tablets made by Samsung have a Screen Recorder app to capture the audio and video.
Use these step-by-step instructions to record a Zoom meeting on an Android tablet with the latest Android software:
- Swipe down from the top of your tablet’s screen to open the Quick Panel.
- Tap on the Screen Recorder icon.
- Choose your audio input from the Sound Settings menu that opens up. You can opt to record no sound, media sounds, or media sounds + the mic. Select Media Sounds.
- Tap Start Recording. Your screen recording will begin after a three-second countdown.
A gray bar featuring a pencil, person icon, and stop button will display in the upper right corner of your screen while recording. The pencil icon allows you to draw or write on the screen. Tapping the person icon enables or disables picture-in-picture, which you can use to display a video of yourself on the screen (this is an excellent feature for recording a reaction video). The screen recorder does not have a pause feature, but you can stop your recording by tapping the Stop button.
Alternative to Record Video Meetings in HD
Video recording software is a great alternative to Zoom, especially if you’re looking for an all-in-one solution for recording, editing, and publishing. While Zoom has many great features, the program is limited in recording quality, video editing, and social sharing. We recommend using a recording software program like Riverside.fm if you want to capture high-quality content you can use on YouTube or other online platforms.
Riverside.fm has all of the features of Zoom, plus many more. This remote content creation platform records audio and video in 4K. Because it uses local recording, you don’t have to worry about the strength of your internet connection affecting recording quality. The platform is used by big names in the entertainment and news industries because of its versatility and wealth of features.
Why you should choose Riverside.fm to record video meetings in HD:
- Record separate audio and video tracks for easy post-production editing.
- The Magic Editor Tool features automated audio and video features.
- Invite guests to a meeting with a single link.
- Interact with meeting participants in Producer Mode without being recorded.
- Easily collaborate with team members using screen-sharing features.
- Simultaneously live stream across platforms including YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
How to Record on Zoom With Any Desktop or Mobile Device
Recording a Zoom meeting without permission can be confusing at first but becomes simple once you understand how to access the built-in recording features of your device. Because most modern devices have native screen recorders, it’s easy to get around Zoom’s recording restrictions.
Recording video meetings through Zoom can be convenient, but the quality isn’t the greatest, and sharing your recordings online can become a hassle. We recommend an all-in-one recording, editing, and sharing platform like Riverside.fm when you need to record and publish high-quality video content.
Zoom Recording FAQs
Do you have questions about recording on Zoom? Check out our frequently asked questions section to get more answers about recording a meeting on Zoom and how to record on Zoom using a screen recorder program.
When You Record a Zoom Meeting Where Does it Go?
Paid subscribers of Zoom can use cloud recording or the program’s local recording option. Your recorded files are easy to access, no matter which option you choose. Cloud storage provides the advantage of easy sharing and doesn’t take up any of your system’s memory. We’ll provide instructions for how to find your Zoom recordings on your computer or in the Zoom cloud.
To access Zoom recordings in the cloud:
- Open Zoom and log in to your account.
- Click Recordings from the navigation bar on the left side of the screen.
- All recordings saved to the cloud are listed under the Cloud Recordings tab.
To access Zoom recordings on your system:
- Open the Documents Folder on your PC or the Finder on your Mac.
- Type Zoom in the search bar.
- Locate the folder called Zoom Meetings in the search results.
- Open the folder to view your saved Zoom meetings.
Why Can't I Record My Zoom Meeting?
You can’t record a Zoom meeting if you aren’t the host or haven’t been granted recording permission from the meeting’s host. If you want to know how to record a Zoom meeting without permission, reference the sections above on how to record a Zoom meeting on any device. You can use your device’s screen recording features or a screen recording app.
Can I Record a Zoom Meeting on a Phone?
Phones and Android devices can record Zoom meetings. If you’re a meeting host or have recording permission, you can record a Zoom meeting within the app. The steps for recording without permission are different for Android and iPhone devices. Reference the sections in the article above to learn how to record a Zoom meeting on your phone.
How Do I Convert a Zoom Recording to MP4?
Zoom will automatically convert your meeting recording to an MP4 file when you opt for local recording. However, this conversion process is sometimes interrupted if your meeting ends abruptly due to a poor connection or technical issue.
You can convert a Zoom recording to an MP4 file manually with the following steps:
- Open the Zoom app.
- Click Meetings in the navigation bar at the top of the screen.
- Choose Recorded from the navbar that appears.
- Locate the recording you need to convert from the list of meetings on the left side of the screen.
- Click Convert.
How Do I Record a Meeting on Zoom?
If you’re a Zoom meeting host, you can record your session by clicking the Record button on the navigation bar at the bottom of the Zoom window. If you’re an attendee, you can record a meeting if you’re granted recording privileges from the meeting host.
Can You Record a Zoom Session?
It’s possible to record Zoom sessions in a couple of different ways. You can use a third-party recorder app or your device’s built-in recording features to record a Zoom session if you’re not the host or don’t have permission from the host to record. If you’re the meeting host or have permission from the host to record, you can capture a Zoom session within the app. The sections above cover how to record a meeting on Zoom from any device.
Why Is There No Record Button on Zoom?
You can only record Zoom sessions with the permission of the host. If you don’t have recording options available in Zoom, it means the host hasn’t permitted you. Ask the meeting host for permission, and they can change the settings so that you may record the Zoom session.
Can We Record Zoom Using a Screen Recorder?
Yes, you can record Zoom using third-party screen recording software or screen recording features that come with your device. If you aren’t the host and don’t have recording permission, you’ll have to use one of these options for recording on Zoom. See the sections in our article above for recording Zoom from any device.
How Do I Record Free Zoom?
Free Zoom meetings can be recorded from within the Zoom app (if you’re the host or have permission from the host to record), with a screen recording app you download to your device, or with the built-in recording features on your desktop or mobile device. How you record a free Zoom will depend on your meeting permissions and the device you’re recording from.
How Do I Record a Zoom Without G Suite?
You can record Zoom using your device’s native screen recording features or with a third-party screen recording app if you don’t want to use G Suite and save your recording to Google Drive. Almost all desktop and mobile devices now have built-in screen recording apps for capturing audio and video.
Where is the Record Option in Zoom?
The Record button in Zoom is on the bottom bar of the program window, located between the Screen Share and Reactions options. If you do not see the button there, it’s because you don’t have permission to record. If you wish to record, you can request that the meeting host grant you recording permission, or you can use a screen recorder.
Which App Can Record Zoom?
If you are not a host but wish to record a Zoom meeting, you can use the built-in features on your device or a third-party recording app. See the sections in our article above with step-by-step instructions on how to record using the device of your choice.
How Do I Know if My Zoom is Being Recorded?
If a Zoom call is being recorded from within the program, you’ll receive an announcement that says, “This meeting is being recorded.” If you join a meeting in progress and are being recorded, you’ll hear a notification stating the meeting is being recorded.
While Zoom records the meeting, a blinking recording message will display in the upper left corner of the screen. However, there is no way of knowing if someone uses a third-party program or native screen recording features on their device to record a Zoom meeting.